Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Classic Rookie!

I bought this set at a card show for 20 dollars sometime in the 90s. My Dad, my brother and I used to go to the Philly card show together in King of Prussia PA. That's one of the few shows that still runs 3 times a year. It usually has some good signers and about 200-250 tables or so. Some deals to be had usually or at least some nice cards to look at that are overpriced, either way a good time!

The classic rookie I am talking about is none other then Barry Bonds 1986 Topps Traded...


This guy's career will go down in history. When he was skinny he had already amassed 3 MVP's by 1993.. then he bulked up a bit and won 4 more from 2001 to 2004. He did never win a world series though. Got really close but the Angels won Game 6 and 7 to knock the Giants out.

This last hall of fame voting he received 44% of the vote. I personally don't think he will get the required votes in the 10 years he will be eligible. I think down the line eventually probably after he passes away the veterans committee will put him in. His top 3 similar players according to baseball reference are Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth. Pretty legendary company to be among.

Love him or Hate him Barry Bonds was always interesting!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I've softened on him over the years, still not sure how I feel about The Hall. Thankfully I don't have to vote! Anyway, a classic card no matter how you slice it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He already gets a good bit of sympathy from the more modern voters. Once the old guard dies off I think he'll get a big push.

    ReplyDelete