Monday, September 25, 2017

Philly Show Recap!

As I mentioned in my previous post I attended the Philly Show on Saturday. My wife was busy so I went solo. I still had a good time, I'm a bit of a extrovert and do well in crowds. Always willing to strike up a conversation if people want to chat. I spoke to a lot of dealers some new some old that I've chatted with many times. I came to the show with a budget (which I blew but hey who cares) and some specific targets in mind. Saw the usual assortment of Mantles that are way expensive and some other cool stuff. I thought there was a good mix of Vintage and Modern and pre-war cards. Also a decent smattering of Memorabilia and framed pictures. The card room is quickly running out of wall space so we're a bit selective on what we want to hang so I didn't get any of those.

Did grab some cool cards though!


We'll start with 2 high numbers from the 1966 set. I don't care that the one is graded an 8 it wasn't that expensive. The Taylor is not an 8 and he also had one in the same grade and wanted 4 times what I paid for the Larry Jackson. Said no thanks to that but pretty happy to grab these high numbers. If anyone who has collected 50s and 60s cards, the high numbers are tough. Expensive and can be difficult to find. My requirement for my Phillies team sets is no paper loss, I don't care about some creases or a beat up card but I just like the card to be whole.

Here is one of the big ones..

Very happy to grab this card. There was a few in the room and they ranged from 135-500 dollars. I bought on the lower end. It's one of those elusive high numbers that is outlandishly priced. Sorry Dodgers collectors I had to chase this one too.

Grabbed this McGwire for 10 bucks. Didn't have one in the collection. I know it went for a lot more money in the 90s so glad I waited!

This card gets added to my Hall of Fame rookie PC (I have no list just pick up guys I like). Was able to grab it for 65 dollars which I'm quite happy with. It has the off center designation but it doesn't look that bad. The card is super clean otherwise. Only saw 1 other dealer with the card and he wanted roughly 400 for the whole set and wasn't splitting it up. Which is fine, to each their own but I just wanted the single so right place right time to snag this card. (that was a poorly written story and for that I apologize if you are still reading)

This doesn't fit into my baseball collection, but I thought the card was awesome so I bought it. It's also from 1935 as you can see from the label, rather loved as well. Let's make Hoop-ee!

Picked up one autograph..

A signed 8 x 10 of the Phillie Phanatic! Only set me back 5 dollars and it's a cool picture. This we will frame and hang up in the card room.

Overall, had a great time at the show. It was pretty crowded which was nice to see and almost every dealer I spoke to said they were having pretty solid shows. Which makes me happy cause it means they will keep coming back and hopefully keep turning over inventory. I like to look at the showcases and spend a few hours immersed in card world.

Side Tangent.. I was walking by the PSA both just looking at some random things and this one guy was getting his items back. He was getting some autos authenticated. The look on his face when they said his Michael Jordan signed ball wasn't authentic. Looked like someone had punched his puppy. I walked away without saying anything figured it wasn't a good time.

The next show is in December and they already announced that Rhys Hoskins will be signing! Pretty cool!

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for the Heritage High number break!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Saturday must have been the day for people to pick up my white whales at card shows.

    That Shirley-Jackson card makes me angry every time I see it. Congrats on acquiring one of the most outrageously overpriced cards that I know.

    I WILL own it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you picked up some really great stuff! I'm not working on the '66 set, so I was kind of surprised to see that the Shirley/Jackson is going for so much. The Mickey Mouse Gum Inc. was a cool (and fun) buy.

    Your PSA Jordan fake auto story reminded me of a guy I saw at the show I attended this past weekend who was getting some vintage cards graded raw (I think that's the right term) by BGS, he had what looked to be around 20 or so, that all ended up being reproductions. I casually glanced over from the table I was at to try and get a look at them, and I don't know how he possibly could have thought they were real, as I could tell they weren't genuine from like ten feet away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post just 100% convinced me that I will never go after the 1966 set with the price of that Grant Jackson rookie! Nice pick ups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Mickey Mouse card!

    Also congrats on getting the Jackson card. Still can't believe it goes for that much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the McGwire for $10. I don't care what anyone says, it is still one of the iconic cards in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete