Wednesday, June 10, 2020

2002 Upper Deck Vintage Retro break

I was able to scan cards this weekend. (It's not that hard I just have to walk my laptop to the scanner since I am using my laptop for work these days) I had purchased 2 boxes of 2002 Upper Deck Vintage from D&A card world. No issues with shipping and I got free penny sleeves for my trouble. I was fully expecting a lot of base cards and some inserts. There are no guarantees of any hits and the hits are tough odds for only 48 packs total. The relics are 1:144 packs and the quad relics are 1:288 and then there are dual autos that are numbered out of 100 with no stated pack odds.

I went in with low expectations, all I really wanted was to complete the base set that has been on the want list for seems like forever. (or since 2011 when I got back into collecting)

Here are the 2 box break results..


These Day at the Park inserts are 1 in 23 packs so basically 1 per box. The checklist is solid so not a bad player to hit in any of the inserts.

The Night Gamers and Sandlot Stars are both 1 in 11 packs. I hit 1 extra Sandlot Stars in one of the boxes which was a nice surprise.

Boooom! Hit a Vintage Special Collection relic of Sal Bando! Was really happy when this came out of one of the packs.

A few packs later.. same box..


BOOOOOM! A's Hot box! Nothing like hitting a quad relic that has been hiding in packs for 18 years. Had zero issues with cards sticking or condition or anything like that. I know its not worth a ton of money or anything but I like it! I'll probably be holding onto this card for a while.

On a side note, I did not complete the base set via these boxes. I was 6 cards short and I have well over 200 doubles. Not the best collation. I was able to grab those singles off of sportslots for cheap just to complete it.

What other retro boxes would you guys recommend?

Thanks for reading!

Phillies still undefeated!

9 comments:

  1. Great results and a cool pair of hits! The earlier Upper Deck Retro boxes were fun--the ones that came in lunchboxes. I got a few of those and the base, inserts, and autographs all look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are very sharp. Shame you're not an A's fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards! This is a great looking set (love that McGuire Day at the Park photo), and a pair of relics makes the purchase even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you beat the odds and got such cool memorabilia cards.
    I follow the Old School Breaks blog (which, unfortunately, hasn’t posted in 2 years), and they’ve had some good success with ‘01 and ‘02 Topps Gold Label, ‘01 Upper Deck Decade ‘70’s, and ‘04 Donruss World Series.
    I guess it just depends on if you are looking for hits, older players, rookies, shiny cards, or cards of a certain team. The ones I listed above had some decent hits on jersey and parallel cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you finish your set? I have a lot of extras...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did complete the set and all the insert sets. I have to see what I need for a second set, haven't sorted the doubles.

      Delete