Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Greatest Set Accomplishment Part 1

As most of you know I really like Topps Chrome. If you followed along my case break I was quite a big fan of the sepia refractors. With the help of my girlfriend finding we decided to attempt to complete the set. After very aggressively going after the cards we completed the set in about a month and half. If you don't know, every single card in this set is numbered out of 75, so it might be the only set in the world! (I've yet to see another one) The most expensive card was the Harper, the 2nd Most expensive wasn't Darvish or Trout, it was Wei-Yen Chen. I also acquired quite a few doubles so if you're interested in trading they are all listed on my trade bait page.

Check out the first half of the set:











What's your greatest set accomplishment? I definitely felt good when I received the last card for this set (Nick Swisher). If you read this far, mini contest just leave a comment answering the question and on Sunday night after the 2nd football game (eastern time) I will randomize a winner. The winner will get a Jose Valverde Sepia refractor and a Matt Dominiguez auto and some random cards from their favorite team.

9 comments:

  1. I completed, with a little help from COMC, the 2000 Skybox Skylines insert set.

    I am also two cards away from collecting all 20 2000 Skybox Metal Base Shredders (Game-used base relics) insert.

    In terms of refractors, I am working towards a motley/rainbow/frankenset of 2008 Topps Chrome Refractors. Looonnnng way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a great set, and you are probably right - probably the only complete set of the sepia.

    Wish I could say I have a great completion story, but so far the only set I have that I am (mostly) proud of is the Flora of the World mini set from A&G. Only 5 cards, but a cool 5 cards in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the set, it is a very nice one. I like the sepia refractors as well.

    My greatest was either my 1959 or 1960 Topps sets. I got partial sets from my dad he collected in his youth. The 60 needed more cards so I would say that was my greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, the set looks awesome. Sadly, I have yet to complete a set on my own. Never had the patience when I was younger and now after a few years I'm getting back into collecting seriously and working on some team sets so there's hope for the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ho-lee-crap. That looks awesome.

    Traditionalist here. My greatest completion feat is probably finishing off the 1971 Topps set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats! my greatest set accomplishment would probably be 1989 Topps of all things, as it was the first set I put together. that or my first year of Ginter, as I haven't finished off a Ginter set since haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I would have been impressed with regular refractors. A whole set numbered to 75 is to me an insane thing to chase.

    I have only finished off one set. 1996 Select Certified.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sepias look great! I think my greatest accomplishment is completing the 2009 Topps 206 base set (w/SPs) and mini Piedmont set(no SPs). It took a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1971 Topps took 2 years 84-85,fortunatly before graded cards were invented

    ReplyDelete